Thursday, October 24, 2013

#3: Synthesizing Ferrofluid

I successfully created a liquid, otherwise known as a ferrofluid, that responds to magnetic fields. Through a couple shopping trips and an online order, I was able to find hydrochloric acid (HCl), steel wool, hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), ammonia (NH3), oleic acid (C18H34O2), and kerosene. I started by dissolving the steel wool in a beaker of hydrochloric acid until the solution turned a beautiful lime green color. I poured this newly-created solution of what is called ferrous chloride (FeCl2), into two flasks, one of which I corked and the other I left open and added a few drops of hydrogen peroxide. By doing this I introduced oxygen directly to the second flask forming what is known as ferric chloride (FeCl3).

Next, I combined both flasks of ferrous and ferric chloride and added them to a larger flask containing ammonia. After letting the mixture react for a little while, I placed it on my alcohol burner and began heating it. Once it became relatively hot, I added a small amount of oleic acid that would act as a surfactant. I continued to heat the solution for about two hours until most of the excess ammonia and hydrochloric acid had boiled off as a gas. 


After letting it cool down for a while, I poured the jet-black solution into a beaker and added some kerosene. It took a couple hours, but eventually my ferrofluid, which had dissolved in the kerosene thanks to my surfactant, separated from the leftover water. By decanting this oily layer, I had my magnetic liquid.

Here is my ferrofluid suspended in sugar water; it isn't top notch, but it's still pretty neat.

If you want to learn more about ferrofluid...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrofluid

No comments:

Post a Comment