Thursday, October 24, 2013

#1: Diamagnetic Levitation

(September 2013) I built a real levitation device that relies on the complex diamagnetic properties of bismuth metal. I ordered a bismuth ingot online and, thanks to its melting point of 521 degrees Fahrenheit, I was able to melt it down on our stovetop. It took me a couple tries, but eventually I casted the molten metal into the pieces I wanted.

After sanding and polishing them, I positioned one over the other using Legos. I then built a wood structure to hold up an adjustable bolt to which I attached a lifter magnet. After adjusting this to the right height, I was able freely levitate a small neodymium magnet that I placed in-between the pieces of bismuth.


From the right angle it looks super awesome.
The full setup is pretty simple.

If you want to read more about diamagnetism...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamagnetism

If you would like to order some bismuth for yourself...

http://www.rotometals.com/Bismuth-s/4.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment